How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do you do if a school has covered up a case of bullying

Customer Question

What do you do if a school has covered up a case of bullying that has ruined the reputation and life of a student who reported it (student is on independent study) with the Superintendent organizing the cover-up?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating.There are a couple of things you can do, starting with documenting documenting documenting all of your communications with the school system. Send communications in writing and even when you have phone conversation, made notes on them afterwards. If there are further instances of bullying write down when they are. You should also consider hiring an experienced education attorney because often times that's the *only* way to get assistance in this type of case. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. I'd be happy to do so. I'm also available by phone if that would help you. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra and it's the only way we get credit for assisting you. My goal is to make sure that you are satisfied with the assistance you've received, so if there's anything else I can do to help you, please let me know.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you DO have all of the information you need; please also let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but in all due respect we are not satisfied with this answer. We would like to have our money back please. Thank you.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
I will opt out of your question and another one of our experts may be able to assist you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous expert has had to leave.
Under CA law, the school is supposed to enforce their anti-bullying policy. IF the school is not enforcing their anti-bullying policy, then the next step if the Superintendent is covering it up is to file a complaint to the school board. If the school board refuses to act, then you have the right to sue the school for negligence in failure to enforce their policy, retaliation for the conduct towards the reporting student and also the negligent infliction of emotional distress on the student and seek money damages as well as a court order against the school to force them to properly enforce their policy.
So, your next step here would be to file a complaint with the school board informing them the superintendent has refused to enforce the anti bullying policy and is trying to cover it up. If the board takes no action, then you would need a local attorney to represent your child and file suit in court against the school for failure to enforce their policy, retaliation and infliction of emotional distress and seek a declaratory judgment/injunction against the school to force them to enforce their policy as well as monetary damages for the harm they have caused your child.