How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 3915
Experience:  30 years experience.
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tomorrow We have an IEP meeting son. He goes to a charter

Customer Question

Tomorrow We have an IEP meeting for my son. He goes to a charter school. He is having problems with his social interactions. We have been asking the school to support him socially, but they only want to discipline him, give him detention, and send him home.
What can be done to avoid that and use a better discipline?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

This is a complicated issue and I wish we had more time to delve into your situation. As it is, since the meeting is tomorrow we can only touch on the basics. BUT I will link you to some sources where you can get more detailed information.

First and most importantly your need to to be sure that the IEP team evaluates the link between his difficulties and behavior in stressful circumstances. If he does not fully grasp social cues this may be causing the difficulties. His lack of skills in this area is likely leading to his acting out in a manner that is causing the school to seek discipline. You need to push for a behavioral assessment to help her develop the skills to recognize and re-focus his frustration. That assessment may lead to suggestions for individual and group work to focus on these issues. Those are activities that should be added to her IEP.

If the school refuses to work with you in this area remember that you are entitled to an expedited hearing if the school insists that his behavior is not a manifestation of the disability.

Also do not hesitate to contact the Department of Education for assistance. Charter Schools have the same obligations to provide an educational plan designed to meet your son's needs.

Here are some resources that may be useful to you:

If you find that the school is being resistant and is insisting on progressive discipline rather than behavioral assessment and skill set development do not hesitate to contact an educational attorney in your area. This link can assit youwith that:

Lastly a support group may be of assistance to you in getting the information and guidance that you need.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Related Education Law Questions