Education Law

Education Law Questions? Ask an Education Lawyer

Education Law

My child and two other students were recently accused of

Customer Question
My child and two...
My child and two other students were recently accused of making a game up to kill other students. My child had no knowledge of such game. He was ask to add names of some younger students to a list so they could tap them with a pencil and talk to them. No harm was every discussed. All 4 students names added by my son to the list, were indeed friends . Most have stayed the night at our home even.
The student that presented this list admitted to school staff that he alone added "The Kill List to the top of the paper later.
Without a single staff member as a witness, my child's name was turned into resource officers and now is suspended from school.
I have spoke with the school principal and also the school superintendent on this matter.
No one has spoken with the teacher that took up the list from two other students.
FYI my husband is a member of the school board. My child was accused on Monday morning and we as parents were not notified until Tues at 2:35 pm via cell phone requesting a return call. My child was allowed to stay after school for weight lifting and baseball practice both days
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Education Law
2/24/2016
Education lawyer: rayanswers, Attorney replied 1 year ago
rayanswers
rayanswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You would have appeal rights to the superintendent or a hearings officer.It does not appear he did anything wrong here, the title was added to the list by the other student.This amounts to guilt by association.I would escalate this above the principal here as it sounds like they are not giving a fair resolution to all of this.

This needs a real look at what exactly your child did here, it doesn't fit the punishment.Your child did not plan any participation in the process.If you have no luck here with superintendent, you indicate you have already contacted him, then you would need to consider your own lawyer and a lawsuit.I can understand your frustration here, this is guilt by association without any prrof your child did anything wrong here.I would not let this continue, a lawyer can make sure his rights are respected and a fair disposition here is the goal.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I hope you can pursue a fair outcome in all of this, you and your child deserve that.

Thanks again appreciate the chance to help you and the best.

rayanswers
rayanswers
rayanswers, Attorney