Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
7286322

I have student loans that defaulted and now I make the

Customer Question

I have student loans that defaulted and now I make the payments to a third party attorney. I have been paying for years on it now. I have called a few times to just try and get an update on my balance and if they can send me anything showing account balances. I have moved to Colorado and they are in Missouri and they say they can have no correspondence with me. Is there anything I can do just so I can see how much I have left to pay?
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have been an attorney for 26 years. I will help you with your questions. I have a few questions.

1) What is the name of this attorney? I want to see what the status is of his law license.

2) Do you have anything in writing that says this attorney will process the student loan payments for you?

3) What type of loan was this? Federal? If you defaulted and you are making payments you should be able to check with the agency holding the loan to see what the balance is.