Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

I am respponsible sons school loan(federal) Over $150000. I…

Customer Question
I am respponsible for my...
I am respponsible for my sons school loan(federal) Over $150000. I am married,,,have no assets in my name...nothing. I have a pension (state)$980. and work part time at ten dollars an hour $13000 a year gross I have soc sec of $156 I havent paid on the loan in years I am a month away from default. I have used all forbearences available to me Help?What wuill happen to me eventually I dont care about my credit score or if I can get a car or house loan or qualify for a credit card....they can have my soc sec...I never get a tax refund I always owe I am 64 years old
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Education Law
2/11/2016
Education lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. What will happen is that they will eventually sue you. They will get a judgment and go after any assets which you may have to settle this and at the same time, your credit score will be damaged. When it comes to student loans (federal) they could go after your social security to garnish that and any other income you may have. If you have nothing and do not care about your credit, there is nothing else they can really do. This is not something that would result in any jail time, so aside from trying to get a small piece of your SS and any income which you may have, they are limited.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.