How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 1358
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons grades are suffering terribly after major abdominal

Customer Question

my sons grades are suffering terribly after major abdominal surgery and the onset of depression. Our school in NY State did not want to offer a transition program that would have eased him back into school and helped him catch up. They did give him a pass on one semester but did nothing to help him with his studies. Now they want to talk about home schooling as our son seems to not even want to be in school. a fair amount of the issue stems from him being bullied and the school not doing anything to help. We want to know what rights we have in the form of specific programs or assistance NYS requires the school to provide if we ask. We don't know what to do at this point to help our son. He is highly intelligent but has learned to hate school due to the social environment. His surgery and battle with crohn's disease for the past 7 years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.

All NYS schools must offer special education mediation. Your sons surgery and subsequent learning issues can be categorized as a injury or a disability. The school may have violated the IDEA the NYS law regarding education and students with a disability. You should submit a signed complaint to the NYS Education Department and request an impartial hearing to resolve the schools unwillingness to properly assess and assist your son with his post surgery learning and education needs.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Related Education Law Questions