Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Total student loan amount being reported to the credit

Customer Question

Total student loan amount being reported to the credit bureau(s) is incorrect. It's over stated by at least 40k and I don't believe ALL that is interest.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Once you have established that an item is wrong, you can dispute it. You can contact the lender (or collection agency) who is reporting the wrong information, the credit reporting agency that lists the mistake, or both. Asking the creditor to fix it may be the simplest approach, because if they do agree they made a mistake, they will be required to transmit the correction to all the agencies to which they report. That saves you the extra step of having to dispute it with other agencies that may be reporting the same incorrect information.

However, it’s also important to note that to protect your legal rights under federal law, you must send a written copy of your dispute to the credit reporting agencies, not just the creditor. Therefore, if you find a serious mistake or if you are having trouble getting an item corrected, make sure you also report the error directly to the credit bureau(s).

Equifax dispute: Equifax has a form for initiating a credit report dispute on their website atEquifax.com.

Experian dispute: You will find instructions for filing a dispute or checking on an existing one atExperian.com.

TransUnion dispute: Visit the TransUnion website for instructions for filing a consumer dispute if you think the information on your TransUnion credit report is wrong.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.