Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
10285032

I hope you can steer us in the right direction. Several

Customer Question

Hello, I hope you can steer us in the right direction. Several years ago upon graduating from nursing school my wife co-signed a student loan so her sister could go to nursing school. Her sister did graduate and is an LPN now, and her husband is a seasonal worker that makes decent money. For months we have had to make the payments to various agencies and now her sister is blatantly avoiding us and expecting us to make the payments for her. We do, as to not tarnish our good credit standing. Is there anything we can do about this, since they do have the ability to pay the loan but won't because they are living WAY above their means?
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, your options here are very limited. So your option here if she will not pay her debts would be you have to sue her for reimbursement and for any damage she caused your credit report. The good thing is student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy, so she cannot try to file bankruptcy to avoid paying the loans. It is not a great position to be in to have to sue a family member, but when they will not do the right thing, then you have no choice and if you get a judgment against her you can seek to garnish her wages as well as seek to take her bank accounts for payment on any court judgment you receive.