Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

My question is... Do I have to pay back my daughters student…

Customer Question
Hi My name is *****...
Hi My name is ***** ***** my question is... Do I have to pay back my daughters student loan? She was paying for it until she found out her father and I split up. I'm a single mother now and they are threatening to garnish my pay. Is there anything I can do to have this removed off my name?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Education Law
1/8/2016
Education lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon Ada,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Did you co-sign for the student loan?

2. Was she a minor when she took out the loan?

3. Where is your daughter living now?

Doug