How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I live in NC and live down the street from an 18

Customer Question

My wife and I live in NC and live down the street from an 18 year old young man who is finishing up his Sr. Yr. in high school. His adopted mother, a "Blue Blood" who doesn't hesitate to call him a "Russian bastard" feels that he has worn out his welcome and should be out of the house, she doesn't want him and she just assumes that we will take him in while he works on his diploma.
Doesn't NC state law demand that the bio-parents support the student (room and board) until he graduates?
***** *****
Chocowinity, NC
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

The NC law states the following:

§ 48A-2. Age of minors. A minor is any person who has not reached the age of 18 years

As such if he has reached the age of majority he is consider an adult.

I suggest what you are referring to is in a divorce situation where there is child support the NC 50-13.4 states the following:

(2) If the child is still in primary or secondary school when the child reaches age 18, support payments shall continue until the child graduates, otherwise ceases to attend school on a regular basis, fails to make satisfactory academic progress towards graduation, or reaches age 20, whichever comes first, unless the court in its discretion orders that payments cease at age 18 or prior to high school graduation.

And so the answer to your question is No. Parents where the marriage is in tact have no financial or lawful obligation to their child once they reach the age of 18, the age of majority.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification in this regard. Otherwise, thank you in advance for a positive rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you.

Related Education Law Questions