How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 102375
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A student stole a valuable item from me. I know its a boy in

Customer Question

A student stole a valuable item from me. I know its a boy in a certain class, but don't know who. Its a valuable item, worth $8,000 (its a ring) The principal knows who it is, but is citing confidentiality and refuses to tell me who. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What someone in your situation may wish to do is to file a criminal complaint. This is theft - a criminal matter. The police will investigate and as part of their investigation they will ask the Principal about the identity of the alleged thief. Any "confidentiality" policy the school may have should be pierced by the police investigation.

At the same time or in the alternative, someone in your situation can file a lawsuit against JOHN DOE and then subpoena the Principal to name the thief. Again, the subpoena should pierce the school's confidentiality policy. Once the name is ***** ***** suit can be amended from against John Doe to the thief's name and the suit would go forward.

However I would strongly consider filing a criminal complaint, as this would have the authorities not only likely find out the identity, but also possibly even recover the ring faster than a civil suit.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

Related Education Law Questions