How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 118253
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about what is required in the State of

Customer Question

I have a question about what is required in the State of Connecticut to be eligible to homeschool your child and continue survivors benefits after 18. My son has been receiving survivors benefits since my husband passed away in 2003. I withdrew him from the public school system in 2012 so he can be homeschooled. I sent a certified letter to the school and to the Superintendents office and on the same letter requested a copy of his records. I saved copies of all paperwork. A few weeks later I received a copy of the records and he began his work at home with an online curriculum that I purchased. I never heard from the school system again after that and continued his schooling. This year he turned 18 in April. I submitted the paperwork to Social Security to extend benefits and also sent another letter of intent to the Board of Education. I went to Social Security several times during this process to ask questions and make sure we were all set. There was a delay but eventually He received the Letter of Approval and he was paid for 2 months. A few days after he got the check we got a call from social security saying he was not eligible and the money needed to be returned. They said they had checked with the school system and that he was not enrolled as a student and his benefits were discontinued and he now owed $2600.00 to Social Security. I was completely unaware that he needed to be enrolled and was given the run around by the school system and social security. I was told that he cannot be enrolled in the school system because you actually need to be withdrawn if you are homeschooled and that the school system was not required to follow homeschoolers in CT. We have appealed the decision and from what I am being told this is denied once again because he is not enrolled in the public school system. I do not understand why social security is requiring something that the school system will not do, in the mean time they have also stated that my curriculum needed to be approved. I have contacted the home school office several times and get nowhere. They have ignored my last few emails and I have no idea where to turn. I am behind on payments for his curriculum, which I purchased from a link / recommended resource on the State of Connecticut Dept of Edu. website. Also would like to mention that when I went to the homeschool office I was told that they did not have the original letter of intent on file. They received it because I got the records but apparently it must of been misplaced. Please let me know what I should do at this point I need my son to finish high school he does not deserve to have to start this year over or to be forced to enroll in adult education which has been mentioned to me from social security. I cannot afford to pay for the curriculum without the additional income from social security. We planned based on this and he is entitled to it. I just dont know where to turn next and several months have been wasted already. Thanks in advance for your assistance. We are located in Waterbury Ct.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

At this point the reason the homeschool company is not responding is because you are behind on payments. The certification your son is still attending school has to come from the homeschool company, since he is not in the public system and they cannot certify his attendance. The only other thing you can do is reenroll him in the public school and let him complete his time there. Once you reenroll him in the public school they will be able to write the necessry documentation for the SSA. If you do not want to do that, then you have to pay up the homeschool and they have to submit the certification to SSA.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. Just to clarify, the people ignoring me are the Dept of Education Home School Office in my town. The place I bought the curriculum from is not a school they only provide the curriculum. From what I read I was under the impression that I needed to fill out the form as the home school teacher. Social Security keeps sending me to the Waterbury Education Dept. and they keep calling the Dept of Edu. to verify that he is registered, which makes no sense because he is not registered there.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
I clearly understood what the situation is. You are going to have to pay up to the homeschool company or enroll the child back in the public schools though at this point, since he has to be verified as enrolled and if the homeschool company will not do it because you owe them money.