Education Law

Education Law Questions? Ask an Education Lawyer

Education Law

I am a school psychologist wth the Antelope Valley gh School

Customer Question
I am a school psychologist...
I am a school psychologist wth the Antelope Valley High School District. The District's legal counsel called me over a month ago and informed me that a family who is suing the district may file a suit against me personally. I requested additional information from her a couple of days later and received no answer. Sunday night, on my Facebook page, she wished me a Happy Birthday and then stated "we still need to talk!" (I'm not kidding about this!) I do not trust our counsel and do not trust communicating with her by telephone. I have not received any paperwork documenting what I would be sued for from the other family or their attorney. I've recieved NOTHING in writing. I don't know what to do. I feel that I have no one to talk with regarding this. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Education Law
11/3/2015
Education lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. It would not be unusual to not have anything in writing about a potential lawsuit. Unless and until suit is filed, there is nothing in writing. So, at this stage, you really are in a wait and see mode. You will be notified, like all other defendants in a law suit, when you are served a summons and complaint by the other party. At that point, you will want to provide a copy of your paperwork to the School District Attorney as they may, depending on your contract and the local laws, have a duty to defend your suit as well as theirs. You should also though, at the time of service, contact a local civil practice attorney to sit down and discuss the allegations in the lawsuit and prepare, if necessary, to defend yourself in the suit. Even if the School District does take your case to defend, it is good to have an independent attorney who is looking out for your specific interests since the School District attorney is not your attorney, but instead represents the School District interests which can be different from yours.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if you have them I would be glad to assist you further if I can. If none are necessary, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 3rd. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer