Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
7286322

My son's University just enrolled m in a health insurance

Customer Question

My son's University just enrolled him in a health insurance plan without his permission or signature. Is that legal? he is already covered, but missed the post that said he must waive out of the University's insurance plan.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Yes, this is legal and is common. Many universities mandate that the students must have health insurance. If they do not, the university signs them up to one automatically.This is normally included in the fine print of the contracts he signed with the university when he decided to go there.

Good news is that many universities will indeed reverse their decision on an administrative step once they see that he is and was indeed covered. He needs to show proof of coverage from that time that the health insurance coverage was mandated.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.