Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am a former student who is currently living on campus with

Customer Question

I am a former student who is currently living on campus with my husband and I would like to know if I have grounds to sue Eastern Michigan University. The campus moves hours around to future paychecks if students have more than 29 to make it look like they are not working more than 29 hours a week. The school has also billed my husband and I for housing when it is too late to set up a summer payment plan. In addition our water was shut off for three days during the summer due to this school's failure to properly mainitain the facilities. There is also no air conditioning and our power was turned off for an entire day when they were doing "maintenance." Are these a violation of any housing laws or worker's rights laws in Michigan and is there grounds for a lawsuit?
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
I am a former student who is currently living on campus with my husband and I would like to know if I have grounds to sue Eastern Michigan University. The campus moves hours around to future paychecks if students have more than 29 to make it look like they are not working more than 29 hours a week.
Response 1: You may have a wage claim if you are an not an exempt employee if this results in less pay.
The school has also billed my husband and I for housing when it is too late to set up a summer payment plan.
Response 2: This may or may not be legal depending on your husband's arrangement with the school.
In addition our water was shut off for three days during the summer due to this school's failure to properly mainitain the facilities. There is also no air conditioning and our power was turned off for an entire day when they were doing "maintenance."
Response 3: The Landlord must maintain the rented premises. There is an implied warranty of habitability in every rental agreement. If there is no water for three days, the place is not habitable. If there is no AC in hot Summer months, the place is not habitable. Your husband may request for rent abatement for his troubles as litigation is costly and issues would not be resolved quickly. Our Justice System crawls.
Are these a violation of any housing laws or worker's rights laws in Michigan and is there grounds for a lawsuit?
Response 4:Yes and yes, but see my previous response.