Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a licensed attorney with over 29 years experience in the practice of law including Educ. Law
19127644

My son is reluctant to affirm on his college admissions questionaire

Customer Question

My son is reluctant to affirm on his college admissions questionaire that he has been treated by a psychiatrist due to potential discrimination and stigma. What are the consequences if he denies having been treated?
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. One of the potential consequences would include his inability to depend on using the protections of the ADA, including reasonable accommodations, should he have an issue that interferes with his education. Without knowing his condition I can't really guess what that might be but if he needs extra time for tasks or testing or has to take time off due to his condition, it will be more difficult having not previously divulged his health condition. That really is the only issue that comes to mind unless he has some sort of school based insurance. I understand his reticence to share this information, but it would be unlawful for the College to share this information with anyone other than those with a need to know and also unlawful to discriminate against him for having sought psychiatric care. Please feel free to ask for clarification.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the legal answer I provided to you on the 24th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no new information in your reply. Specifically can the school dismiss or discipline him or refuse to give him a diploma for lying on the health form?
Hello again and thank you for your reply. I did directly respond to the question you actually asked with great detail. I am nor sure how all of that detail was not useful to you, since those are the relevant issues raised by your initial question. But in any event, as to your more specific question you asked now, which I am more than happy to address, as mentioned in my initial answer, although the school could find that he had violated the honor code for making a false statement on his application, and discipline him under the honor code, they would not be able to deny him his diploma if he had completed all of his course work. Again, please feel free to ask for clarification if needed.