Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

Can i take my 11 year old child out of school months

Customer Question
Can i take my 11...
Can i take my 11 year old child out of school for 6 months.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Education Law
7/1/2015
Education lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. The answer is generally 'no'--a child must be enrolled in some school, or if being 'home schooled', the local district must review your application and approve the home-schooling request. But simply removing the child from school is not permitted and depending on location may even expose the parent(s) to charges of parental neglect. Sincerely, ***** *****