Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

Whats the differenc between plagiarism and convention when…

Customer Question
whats the differenc between plagiarism...
whats the differenc between plagiarism and convention when referring to Universities?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Education Law
Why is plagiarism so hard to judge in the the United States then abroad?
Whats the difference between judging plagiarism: a morale problem and convention?
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/7/2015
Education lawyer: A. Schuyler, Research Analyst replied 3 years ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to help you.
Do you mean morale or moral?
Plagiarism is the use if another's exact words without quotation marks, or their work or ideas without crediting the original author. One can paraphrase articles, but you need to give credit. Here is a truly excellent article (one of the best I've ever seen) on the nuances of paraphrasing: https://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/QPA_paraphrase.html
"Conventions" has several different meanings. It can mean the rules that an organization uses for authors writing for that organization. APA and Chicago for written articles in the USA.
Conventions can also mean phrases that are unique to a workplace or a situation, like some job descriptions (nurse practitioner, IT manager), or common phrases (fool's paradise, Act of God). It isn't plagiarism to use these without quotations, since otherwise you would have to define the term every time you use it.
Please let me know if this is what you are looking for.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
I see that you also asked about the difficulty in assessing plagiarism in the US versus abroad. I don't know that it is any different in the USA, although it is true that many individuals have pushed the limits over the years. It's also true that in the US more attention is given by educators to the possibility that student may be cheating. Even at the high school level papers are routinely checked through software for plagiarism. It's a sad truth that some students will cheat and pay others to write papers for them rather than relying on their own work. Of course, this happens all over the world where all it takes is money to buy a grade, but it seems in the USA it gets more press coverage.
Please let me know if you have questions or concerns.
All the best,
Schuyler
~