Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

I work at the New York City Montessori Charter School. They…

Customer Question
I work at the New...
I work at the New York City Montessori Charter School. They do not give scheduled lunch periods for the teachers to eat and they do not give prep times for classwork to be done. They threaten and bully us in the work place. I was threatened bodily harm by a staff member in front of the principle. The principle said nothing and allowed it. I was threatened because I spoke up about a child being manhandled by a coworker. There are workers there that are not fully accredited to work with children. We have no art and gym teachers to give the children specials and time to be creative. I work with the prek and k age group. Those are just a few issues, there are more.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Education Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/1/2015
Education lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under NY law, meal breaks of 30 minutes are required unless there is a contract where the employees agreed to waive lunch. The 30 minute lunch break must be devoid of work. If this is not being don, then you could file a complaint with the NY Department of Labor.
As far as the issues with the education provided, you can file a complaint with the NY Department of Education who certifies these institutions and have them investigate.
The police do not handle employer or workplace bullying. In fact, under federal and NY law, no laws have yet been passed to protect employees from bullying in the workplace unless the conduct is based solely on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin (in which case you can file a complaint to the EEOC).
If you are being retaliated against for filing a complaint about child abuse, then this would be grounds for you to get a local attorney to file suit against the school for such retaliatory conduct creating a hostile work environment for you.