How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a single parent, I pay all private school tuition and

Customer Question

I am a single parent, I pay all private school tuition and medical expenses for my one son, age 12.
There has never been any child support.
This year he was diagnosed with ADHD, and additional learning disabilities. This requires extra tutoring and learning services.
Is there any kind of government assistance for this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Education Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I take home less than 40K annually.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Possibly. Depending on the scope of your child's special needs he may qualify for additional services and support. (Children with disabilities that affect their functions of daily living - such as ability to care for themselves - are entitled to services, but sometimes children with lesser impairments are also entitled to services. Contact your local office of education for resources and information (unfortunately, a lot of this takes research and some trial and error, my own children have special needs and we have lived in several different counties, each county has its own set of resources and each has its own eligibility guidelines, so you will need to be prepared to do some calling around, and go through an assessment process for each program).