How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 118649
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been on academic probation at UCSD because my first

Customer Question

I have been on academic probation at UCSD because my first quarter at school I received a D, F and C+. The rule is that I have to maintain a term and cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. Last quarter I received a B, C+, and C-. And now this quarter I received a C, C, and C-. However, there was a class that I signed up for, "Creativity", at the beginning of the quarter, and decided to drop because I got into "Brain Dysfunctions" instead. I dropped the second day of school because I did wanted to open up the spot for someone else to take the class.
Today I received an email saying I am academically disqualified from UCSD. I was confused so I went to look at my final grades..and I had a C, C, and C-, and an F. The F was in the class I dropped the second day of school. Apparently the class did not get dropped and the professor gave me a failing grade. I am wondering if I would have been disqualified without the F, since I got a C-, which is worth 6.80 points rather than 8.0 points? And also, I will have to petition the F, on a petition with barely any room for me to write what happened..and with them saying that it is very rare that they accept petitions. There is no proof that I actually dropped the class except for my own personal story. So I am wondering if it would be better for a lawyer to petition for me and if I should just go straight to the dean. What is the best way to save my education at UCSD?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

You have to appeal the F and prove that you properly withdrew before the cutoff date. I am afraid that if you did not submit the proper form for withdrawal, drop/add form, which there would be a record of, then the school will not recognize the drop/add.

A lawyer will only do what you can do yourself, write a letter to the dean begging for another chance, describing the hardships of your year and that you did well in the 3 classes and explain that there was a mistake and the you thought you dropped the class properly, but you do not know what happened and ask the school for a second chance. Most schools will give you a second chance.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My GPA without the F is a 1.9. Do you know if schools will disqualify you for the .1 percent off from the 2.0 that I needed to be in good academic standing?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I just helped a friend's son with one who had a 1.8 and it was his first year and he begged and promised to pick it up and argued that it was impossible to raise it sufficiently in one semester and the school decided he would be given 2 semesters to raise it to the minimum 2.0 required.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do you do this? By going straight to the dean?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
You need to write a letter to the dean of academic affairs and then you can appeal to the dean directly if the dean of academic affairs denies you. Send the letter first and then schedule an appointment with the dean of academic affairs to plead your case.