Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

Is it a violation of civil rights for a principal of an elementary…

Customer Question
Is it a violation of...
Is it a violation of civil rights for a principal of an elementary school to search a cell phone without reasonable cause and look to discipline the student based upon parental conflicts with that principal?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Education Law
3/3/2012
Education lawyer: LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer replied 6 years ago
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®:

I am a licensed attorney and will do my best to provide you an honest and accurate answer to your important legal question.

My goal is to make your experience here highly satisfactory. Toward that end, please keep a few details in mind during our interaction:

1. When you receive my answer, please kindly click the ACCEPT button. This is the case regardless of whether you are paying for just one question or are using any type of subscription plan or promotional offer. Doing so does not terminate our dialog. I will gladly continue our discussion, without additional charge, if needed. I receive no wages or salary for my time.

2. I am a lousy mind reader. If you do not supply information to me, I do not know it. Please, give me the needed details to work with so I can provide you with the best possible service. Also, if you use the RELIST or BLOCK features, our discussion ends and I may no longer be able to assist. Please, just write back to me, directly, and talk to me.

3. Also, while I make every effort to work in a timely fashion, answering legal questions is not an instantaneous process. I am required to conduct research, interact with multiple customers simultaneously and sometimes take a break. Also, there may be times when I have to sign off for the night or to attend to other obligations. Rest assured, however, I will get back to you.

4. If you have a new legal question, the terms of this site ask that you post it in a separate thread. In other words, please be fair and reasonable. You can direct any future questions to my attention. Just go to my Profile Page, type in the text box "ask Your Question", click the hyperlink that says "15 minutes", and use the drop down menu to select 12 hours.

5. Please remember that many times even attorneys disagree with the law. But, we cannot change it. The answer I give you is based on my years of legal education and professional practice. It may well not be what you were hoping to hear. I will be upfront and direct. I will not mislead you, misstate the law to suit your hopes, or agree just to meet your expectations.

6. If you answer an Information Request and I start working on formulating your answer, it does take some time to draft a quality response. In the meantime, you may receive a message indicating that I am "offline" or "unavailable". This is not the case. These messages are generated automatically without my knowledge or input.

7. Lastly, please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated. Information provided is informational and not legal advice. I am not your attorney. No attorney-client relationship exists between us. Consult legal counsel in your jurisdiction.

QUESTION: "Is it a violation of civil rights for a principal of an elementary school to search a cell phone without reasonable cause and look to discipline the student based upon parental conflicts with that principal?"

ANSWER: Yes. In fact, a couple of years ago (2010) there was a somewhat similar case: N.N. v. Tunkhannock Area School District et al., 10-cv-01080-ARC. Please, contact the American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania: File a Complaint and Students' Rights Handbook. They handled the case I referenced and would be the best place to start.

I truly hope all works out for you. I know this is a lot to take in, so please do not hesitate to write back. After you select "Accept", our conversation need not end. I would be happy to continue our dialog, without further charge, until you are fully satisfied. I promise to check back periodically for any updated posts from you each time I return to this online venue.

Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!

[Please click "Accept" -- this is the only way I get paid for my work and services provided.]

LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
I am a fellow educator who is taking a MS class in School Law, and the whole search and seisure popped into my head. Kindly look at my additional question I posted with more indepth information, and I am looking for case law, supreme court decisions, etc to look into this further. I am using this experience as an assignment of my Master's degree.

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you.

You are quite welcome-- my pleasure to be of service.

Many thanks for your prompt payment!

I see that one of my able attorney colleagues has addressed your other post.