How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Lawyer.
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 16622
Experience:  I am an Attorney with years of experience in Education Law related matters.
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are my rights when it comes to redistricting? The county

Customer Question

What are my rights when it comes to redistricting? The county public schools had proposed to redistrict my community to a poor performace school. The School is ranked 694th of 744 elementary schools in the state . It is one of the lowesr perofroming elementary schools in our county. The school has the one of the highest school suspension rate for elementary school in the our county. The neighborhood that the school is located in has the most registered sex offenders miles per radius. I have attended a one sided public hearing where the school board members and supertemdant was present just listen however did not comment on our concerns. After the public hearing, I chairman of the school told us to take our concerns to the commissioner meeting. Please advise
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Is there a meeting with commissioner that is pending and also when is redistricting takes place?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is a hearing on the resistricting with the commossioners and if I want to speak I with get there 30mins before the meeting. The redistricting final decision is April 10 . I think that have already made up their minds and just going thru the steps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry typing to fast. There will be a public hearing with the commissioners on the redistricting issues and the final decsion is on April 10. I think they have already made up their minds and just going through the motions.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.

Basically you can appeal to the commissioner and state your position about the redistricting, but if it appears that a decision had been made, unfortunately it might not make much difference if you and other people from your area speak up against it.

If the redistricting is approved, you would have to consult with a local administrative law attorney who can evaluate your entire situation and see if for some reason this redistricting violates is unlawful or would cause harm if allowed.

If this attorneys finds some legal grounds based on which this redistricting decision can be appealed to the state court, this attorney will be able to file for an injunction to reverse/stop redistricting.

Unfortunately, this type of litigation with the school board and department of education is very costly and there is no guarantee of a successful outcome, so I would suggest that you would form a group of parents/neighbors who feel the same way as you do and also oppose this redistricting decision to form a group and to share the costs of litigation if you decide to challenge this decision through the courts.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.

Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Do you have any related follow up questions or do you need for me to further explain my answer to you?

Related Education Law Questions