Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My son graduated from UC in Mar 2011. His matriculation

My son graduated from UC Davis in Mar 2011. His matriculation ceremony was Dec 2010. He thought that since he attended the ceremony that this would be sufficient to receive his diploma. However, he was informed that attending the ceremony, did not suffice to get his diploma, so in May 2011, he formally applied.
He has 181 credits and could get transcripts showing his diploma has been awarded.
However, he is now in Korea teaching English and the Korean Gov't rules state that only the original diploma would suffice to prove graduation and get legal residence in Korea.
The Univeristy stated that the soonest he can get the diploma is Jan 2012. He has appealed to get it sooner. If the appeal is rejected, could I visit an attorney and get some kind of court order to issue the diploma sooner?
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

I do not understnad. Why are they witholding his diploma until January 2012?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They said that he applied too late to get the diploma in July so he'd have to wait until Jan 2012.

Thank you for the additional information.

Your Question: My son graduated from UC Davis in Mar 2011. His matriculation ceremony was Dec 2010. He thought that since he attended the ceremony that this would be sufficient to receive his diploma. However, he was informed that attending the ceremony, did not suffice to get his diploma, so in May 2011, he formally applied.

Response : Yes. You should get an attorney that handles education issues to sue the school at that time. This is beyond ridiculous. The Certificates should already have been printed. I really do not understand why he should wait for 6 months to get his Certificate just because he allegedly made a request for it late. I just do not get it.

Use the following sites to find attorneys that handle education/school law:

http://www.lawyers.com/

http://www.justia.com/

http://www.attorneypages.com/