E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I have a Kindle Fire. I was reading a book and somehow I…

Customer Question
I have a Kindle...

I have a Kindle Fire. I was reading a book and somehow I touched something on the screen and the display went from the normal reading display to a double line spacing. I tried doing the line spacing option which is only narrow, normal and wide, but that is not it and it doesn't get me back to a normal page display. Can you help please.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Kindle Fire?

About 4 years

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Kindle Fire?

I tried going into the display settings, the font settings and the line spacing settings

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: E-Readers
5/25/2018
Electronics Technician: info tech, Technician replied 2 months ago
info tech
info tech, Technician

Hello
Welcome
Whilst this may be a hardware issue I am hopeful you have success doing this>>>
Please reset the kindle by holding down (or slide to the right on early kindles) the on/off switch for 40 seconds (use a watch to time) ignore any messages the kindle may display, then release your finger the kindle should reboot and re-load the operating system, you may have to do this both on and off the charger and upto 4 times before it resets.
Let me know if you need more help OR if this does not work for you or if it DOES!.

Anthony

that did not change anything. The problem is the text used to be single spaced and now it is double spaced with hints between the lines

It should have worked?why?because it puts the kindle back to factory default

which is single spaced?you sure you did this correctly?you seen the kindle reboot and

go back to the startpage

Please read above, resetting it will not do anything but reset you wont lose

anything

i will repeat the 40 second hold down of the on switch. just a moment please

Make sure its the full 40 seconds use a watch thanks

no change. how do i get rid of the hints mode, maybe that is causing it

Did it reboot and go back to the start page usually a tree?

it went back to my home page the one with all the apps

OK I find that really odd because your settings have been saved

and not wiped which they would do if it reset

I can't see how that could have happened tbh

I will opt out here because to discuss what you may or may not

have done would take a lot of my time up

Particularly for a 4 year old unit what is happening here does not

make sense to me

is there a "hints" setting somewhere?

It should go back to a screen where you just took it out

of the box and used for the first time

i will have to look elsewhere for an answer
Electronics Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 2 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Harry, i think that the problem is that i must have turned on a "hints" button that defines words in the text and displays the definitions in the interline space. How do i turn that option off? it is true no matter what book i open. it does not affect any other type such as on the silk browser

Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap Settings.

Tap Device Options, and then tap Reset to Factory Defaults.

Tap Reset to confirm.

will doing that erase any of my personal data other than reading settings

Yes, it will erase the tablet settings and data but everything that was backed up will still be on the Kindle after it is registered again.

by the way, this is a Fire HD 6 (4th Generation). Will resetting erase my library of books

All books will be downloaded again after registering

ok. i will have to do this later as i need to leave

OK thank you