E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I have a kindle fire HD it turns on, charges and opens but…

I have a kindle...

I have a kindle fire HD it turns on, charges and opens but will not go to the home screen, it sometimes will eventually go to settings eventually but then locks up. right now I can press a menu item but it never opens. Ive tried turning on and off-same issue.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Kindle Fire?

It is one of their original fire HDs...probably 4-5 years. It's now saying the launcher is not responding would I like to close it?

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Kindle Fire?

I have tried turning it off and on but getting to settings is sketchy at best

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Android Expert to know before I connect you?

No, I figure they will guide me with questions

3/25/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).
If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

Let me know what happens once you try those steps.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am attempting the first reboot...waiting for a minute to pass

Okay, standing by.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No good. I can try rebooting my heart out but I don't think it will help. It will open with the choices across the top but that's it.

If the above steps did not work then there is a hardware issue with your Kindle.

Since you are outside of the warranty period (1 year warranty) Kindle will probably not issue a replacement but they normally give great discounts for a current Amazon customer to upgrade to the Kindle Fire.

In SOME cases they will grant the 1year warranty for a customer and give you a replacement. That is completely up to Amazon and is on a case to case basis that I have no control over.

Please call Amazon here ---> 1-***-***-****

Let them know that your Kindle has hardware issues and you need a replacement

If you have any questions, please let me know otherwise if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Aric, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you I will call them.
Aric, Technician