E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

My sister gave me the use of her nook simple touch and even…

Customer Question
My sister gave me...

My sister gave me the use of her nook simple touch and even loaded a book on it from barnse and noble for me But I have a couple books I downloaded from smashwords that I want to add But I cant get my computer to see the nlook as a removable drive????

Technician's Assistant: When did this downloading issue start with your e-reader?

Expended info actualy my sister gave my other sister the use of it and loaded MY first book on it {I'm an author) But when I went to put the next two books on it for her Her windows 10 laptop didn't see the device so I brought it home to my linux box. Found out needed to charge the device becaause didn't have enough juce to turn on. IOt can turn on now but my linux box still doesn't see the device even when root types fdisk -l

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a force reboot (pressing and holding the power button for a minute)?

On the nook you mean?

Technician's Assistant: The E-Reader Specialist will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

Not sure. But while I'm not sure if what I did to get it to turn on is the forced reboot your talking about. But it does turn on. I just can't get my computer to see it as a drive. Should maybe the nook be "off" when I connect to it to sideload the file?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: E-Readers
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Electronics Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 4 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Yeah, I could still use an answer on what could be stopping this nook simple touch reader, which does work, at least for content that my sister added directly from her Barnes and Noble account, before she went on vacation. Yet my computer doesn't see the connected nook as a device. I should note that I have an older nook that I got on ebay to find out if I liked to read ebooks this way and to get a feel for how my books might appear to any potential readers and my computer has no trouble seeing the older nook as a device. I have used it to put epubs of both my books and some other books that I got from smashwords on that nook without difficulty. But this one doesn't show up. I should mention that I'm running linux and when I open a root shell and give the command "fdisk -l" It outputs a list of all connected devices whether mounted or not along with any applicable partition data. But This nook doesn't appear in the list???
I do have a laptop that came with windows 7. (Though during an upgrade a ways back it trashed some file it needs to communicate with the microsoft update system and stopped getting updates. (Leeds to an non stop loop of no data transfer) Which hasn't mattered much to me. I strongly dislike windows anyway and only boot it to update my GPS's maps. And it's linux distro(s) work fine. But I could if perhaps Barnes & Noble built in some windows OS dependency into this nook reboot the laptop into win 7 to test if the nook will register on win7's device list. But that would take a while to set up.
I could also use a little bit of info on what state the nook should be in when I connect it to a PC to transfer an epub file into what if memory serves should be a my documents folder? That is do I start with the nook powered up and unlocked etc... ???