E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9. I have just replaced the

I have a Kindle...

I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9. I have just replaced the battery and charged the battery for 6 hrs. I turned it on and got the home page. When I swipe it to open it, it does nothing. I pushed the on/off button to shut it down and the icon comes up and I push on the "shut down" button, it doesn't do anything either. I also tried to push and hold the on/off button for 25 seconds to see if that would reset it, but that didn't work either. The screen is totally froze up.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Kindle Fire?

6 years old

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Kindle Fire?

Everything I have done is in the first message to you.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Android Expert to know before I connect you?

Know I think that's everything I've tried so far.

3/21/2018
Russell H., Technician

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your Kindle question.

When replacing the battery, you may have disturbed or loosened the connector (probably a ribbon-type) to the touch-screen from the circuit board, or to the circuit board from the touch-screen part of the screen. With that connection loose, or apart, the touch functions don't get to the circuit board, and they do nothing.

You may have to take it apart again, and carefully re-seat, correctly, the ribbon cable from the touch-screen.

(If it was done for you in a shop, take it back to them, complain a bit, and tell them to get the ribbon cable from the touch screen seated correctly!)

We have done this and it still won't work correctly.
I will try this again. How do I get in touch with you and is there an additional charge?

Then the touch-screen may be damaged, or the ribbon cable to the touch-screen (most likely) got crimped in such a way as to damage it.

This is a replacement for that ribbon cable, if you would like to replace it:

https://www.ebay.com/i/322168993517?chn=ps&dispItem=1

You may return to this case at any time by going to this page:

https://www.justanswer.com/e-readers/b3ufg-kindle-fire-hd-8-9-just-replaced.html

which is the page devoted to your question.

I'll check the ribbon to see if it is crimped and retry reseating the tab again if its not. I'll let you know if that works. Thanks.

OK.

I went on ebay and I noticed the ribbon is dor an 8.8. I have an 8.9. Took the Kindle back off again and I don't have a ribbon like the one shown on ebay.
I have solved the problem!! The one ribbon that holds the back and front together wasn't put in correctly. After I reseated the ribbon, I held the "on/off" button down for 25 sec., then restarted it and the screen started working. Woohoo!!
Thank you for your help. How much is the charge?
Russell, I guess we're finished here. Thanks for the help.
I can't submit my rating until you end your side of the conversation.

I'm glad to hear that the problem is fixed!

If you would rate my work, five-stars would be appreciated! thank you.

(Charges are not something I have control over, so I cannot tell you how much - but it looks to me like a normal enough charge, no extras, etc. Customer Support can tell you specifics - They may be reached at

***@******.***

or through Chat or Phone by way of this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com. )

Russell H., Technician