E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

Yesterday i spilled ginger ale on to my kindle while flying…

Yesterday i spilled ginger...

Yesterday i spilled ginger ale on to my kindle while flying home . it entered the charge port and the on/pff button area. Maybe five of six drops. enough to drip put when put upright. I turned the Kindle off (so I thought). It is recharged, but the wait wheel stops after a circle or so, and I am not getting internet connection. We have a function wifi device, so that should not be an issue. I have attempted to free up the sugar film with pure alcohol, and the on/off button freely moves. Any hope?

Technician's Assistant: Does your network appear in the Wi-Fi list on your Kindle?

All i get is an illuminated fronts pager KINDLE a tree image with a boy reading under it

Technician's Assistant: Are other devices (computer, phone, etc.) connecting to the router?

Its wifi and all others are online

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

No thnx

3/16/2018
Russell H., Technician

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your Kindle tablet question.

If the ginger ale that the device got wet with, penetrated into the circuitry, unfortunately it will need servicing - or replacement, which might perhaps be more economical.

If it were water, just drying it out would help, in at least 1/2 of cases. But ginger ale leaves a sticky acidic residue, which is quite bad for circuitry, and will not simply dry off and evaporate. If this is on circuitry or across circuit board runs or other connection.

So it will need servicing at least to clean it off - unless it simply didn't get far into it and after drying it works the first time it is tried again. Drying for 2+ days is advisable, as a first effort.

After that, it would need to be taken to a shop, at least to be opened up and examined for extent of damage.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds about right. How about an alcohol rinse to rid sugar stick?

If you remove the battery first, that might help, yes! rubbing alcohol without perfume, perhaps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do I remove battery?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thanks The kindle is an Amazon marked white paper job, with no obvious access to battery.

The battery is not easily removed in that model. I'm not sure that rinsing with alcohol (without disassembly and removal of the battery first) will do any good, I'm sorry to say - it's ideal for circuitry to be un-powered when it gets wet, you see.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it

I'm glad to hear it. Could you please - if you are done with the case - rate my work and my answer, using the five-star interface at the top of the JustAnswer question page (cited below) ? a five-star rating would be appreciated - thank you! and have a great day.

https://www.justanswer.com/e-readers/b3flx-yesterday-spilled-ginger-ale-kindle-flying.html

Russell H., Technician
Russell H., Technician