E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

Amazon fire will not charge. Appears to be. The plug

Amazon fire will not...

Amazon fire will not charge

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried different power sources or a different wall adapter (the part of the charger with prongs)?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Is the charging port of your Fire clean, with the small tab inside unbent?

Appears to be

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Android Expert to know before I connect you?

The plug assembly that plugs into the wall socket is warm to the touch

3/16/2018
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up. Note that you may need to repeat this process 4-5 times for the reset to take effect. Let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

OK I followed your instructions and I now have the device up. I have a battery icon with a lightning symbol in the upper right corner. Does this mean it is charging?

Yes it does, the lightening icon means its is charging, so leave it on the charger now for at least several more hours, and it should work normally at that point.

Thank you,

Nathan, Technician
Nathan:
I thank you for your support. Apparently the problem was with the power plug that the USB cord plugs into. With your assist I was able to correct the problem. I submitted a feedback report indicating my satisfaction with your assist. Thank you.

Thank you for the update, glad you were able to track it down and get it working again!