E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

The screen has has patches of and streaks. D00901. Amazon…

The screen has has...

The screen has has patches of white and streaks

Technician's Assistant: What brand and model of e-reader do you have?

D00901

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your e-reader? What have you tried so far?

Amazon kindle

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

Last two days

3/14/2018
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up. Note that you may need to repeat this process 4-5 times for the reset to take effect. Let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Iam in Australia so would rather see what you can do online

Thank you for the photo, this indicates that there is internal physical damage to the screen, it was likely dropped or had some impact.

The next step will be a deeper level reset. If you have not charged the kindle recently or know that it is at least half full, then you should charge the battery for at least a few hours before proceeding further. Then plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I followed the instructions but the screen is still the same
If I buy a new kindle can I keep all my info from the old one and how would I transfer
It

Thank you for trying,

that does confirm a hardware defect, so the kindle would have to be replaced, they are not feasible to repair, it would cost 2-3 times as much to fix as to buy a new one.

There is no need to transfer, this all happens automatically.

When you receive your replacement kindle, once it is registered and connected to wifi, all of your existing books/purchases will sync to the new kindle, so you won’t lose any of the content you’ve previously purchased.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Technician
Nathan, Technician