E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I am trying to purchase books but when I click on the “Buy…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to purchase books but when I click on the “Buy for $” it looks like it is processing but then never completes the transaction.

Technician's Assistant: What brand and model of e-reader do you have?

Just says Amazon kindle model no D01200

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Kindle? What have you tried so far?

I thought I had loaded some books months ago for an upcoming trip but they weren’t showing. I tried again today and when they didn’t show up called customer service. They saw a preorder but nothing else. I use tried again and finally noticed that it was not working when I tried to purchase. I only use my kindle 12x year when I go on vacation.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

I meant to say 1-2x a yr, not 12.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: E-Readers
3/10/2018
Electronics Technician: GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech replied 1 month ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech

Hi there! My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this trouble and I'm sorry that you've had to wait for help. It would be my pleasure to assist you. Please give me just a moment to review your question.

Please note: You may see offers for ADDITIONAL SERVICES that are automatically generated by the website. They are completely optional. Please feel free to ignore them.

Let's check a couple of things on the Kindle itself. Let's make sure that it is correctly registered to your Amazon account.

1. Tap Home, then tap the Menu icon.
  2. Tap Settings, then Registration.
  3. If you see the option to REGISTER, please enter the email address and password ***** your Amazon account.
  4. If the only option that you see is to DEREGISTER and you see your Account information displayed then it is already registered.

If it correctly registered, let's check to make sure that it is properly connected to wifi.

1. Tap Home, then tap the Menu icon.
  2. Tap Settings, and then tap Wi-Fi Networks.

Let me know if it shows that it is connected or not. If it is not, please check to make sure that WiFI is turned on.

Tap Home, tap the Menu icon, and then tap Turn on Wireless. If the only Option is to Turn OFF WIRELESS then it is already connected.

Please check these settings and let me know the results.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All is as it should be. Wireless connected and kindle shows as registered.

Thank you for that information.

Please login to your account at www.Amazon.com/mykOn the page that appears next, you will see a CONTENT Tab and a DEVICES Tab. On the CONTENT tab you will see all of your Kindle book purchases. You can sort them by title, author or purchase date. If you see a book there that isn't on your Kindle. please select it by checking it and then click on the ACTIONS column. Choose deliver to OTHER as the action. Select your device from the Device list. If you have more than one Kindle, make sure that you choose the Kindle that you are actively using.

If you still have issues after following these steps, you may be nearing full capacity on your Kindle, and may need to delete a few of the books that you have already read and then SYNC your device again. The books that you delete will continue to be available at the Amazon website under My CONTENT if you should wish to download them again at some point in the future.

If you don't see any new books in the list under CONTENT, then the purchases may not have gone through. I often find that it is easier to purchase books from my computer than from my Kindle. I recommend that you try that. Please keep me posted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is not showing that I purchased anything since Oct, 2017 which means my request to purchase are not going through. However, when I chose a book to pre-order a book that is not yet available, I was told that was accepted. Also, when I attempted to go to the contents tab on my kindle, I am getting an Application Error. I had to go on to my iPhone to view the contents page. That tells me there is something going on with my kindle itself.

The reason that pre-orders are accepted is likely that you aren't charged for the books until they are actually ready to be delivered. You may have more than one problem here. I recommend that you do 2 things. First, check to make sure that your payment info is correct. Please click on the link below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/homepage.html/ref=nav_youraccount_btn

Note: Be sure to login using the same email address and password ***** to your Kindle reading APP.

On the page that opens you will see PAYMENT OPTIONS. Please click on that.

Note: You may be asked to re-enter your Amazon password.

On the page that appears next, you will be able to edit existing payments methods or add a new payment method. After you have updated your payment information, please be sure that it is set as your preferred one-click payment method. One click payment must be turned on in order for you to order books directly from your Kindle device or Reading App.

You can check your one-click settings using the following instructions:

To change your 1-Click settings:

1. Go to Manage Addresses and 1-Click Settings.
  2. Click Click here to change your 1-Click default address, then click Edit next to the payment method for the address.
    Note: To change your default shipping method, click Edit next to 1-Click settings for this address. All 1-Click orders for items fulfilled by sellers other than Amazon.com are shipped via Standard Shipping.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to save your 1-Click settings.

You can turn 1-Click ordering on or off as well as change your default 1-Click payment method and shipping address.

To turn your 1-Click off, click the Turn off everywhere button on the right-hand side of the screen. (When 1-Click ordering is off and you want to turn it on, this button appears as Turn on instead.)

The second thing that I recommend is that you perform a factory reset on your Kindle. You don't have to worry about losing any of your previous purchases as they are stored in the Amazon Cloud and will be available to be re-downloaded if you wish.

To perform a factory reset, please go to Settings>Device Options>Reset to Factory Defaults. Your Kindle will shit down. It will take longer than usual to restart. When it starts back up you should see a wizard walking you through the setup process.

Please note: you will need to know your Amazon account information and your wifi SSID (name) and password ***** order to set it back up.

Please give these suggestions a try and let me know the results. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried to do it on my kindle but when I clicked on Continue, next to the select payment method, I received an application error again. Last 4 digits and exp date are current. I will see if I can do something by going in to my iPhone.

Do you have a computer that you can use for troubleshooting purposes? I think you would find it much easier to do this on a computer. The web browser on your Kindle and the web browser on your iPhone lack some of the features necessary to access the full functionality of the Amazon website.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I do not have a personal computer. My work computer has admin restrictions.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Trying to reset device.

I understand. Please keep me posted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Reset. Looking for a book to purchase to see if successful.

Great! I'm hoping for good news!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No change. Still will not allow me to buy a book
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I click on “buy for $”. Shows “buying” quickly but then resets. I will reload my credit card just in case.

I'm sorry. I know this is frustrating for you. Since you don't have a computer available to you, you may need to call 1(###) ###-####and ask them to update your purchase information for you and enable one-click purchasing for your Kindle device. Everything should be ok after that. I do believe that it is good that we rest the device since you were getting those other error messages as well. Please keep me posted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was able to reset the credit card on my iPhone. How long should I rest the kindle? I am not having much hope since nothing has changed to this point.

I'm sorry. I mistyped. I was just saying that it was good that we reset it. I didn't really mean "rest". Go ahead and try to make a purchase.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did. Same issues continue.

I am terribly sorry but I am out of ideas. I am opting out of the question in the hopes that another expert may be able to help you. The next expert will see our entire conversation, so there will be no need to repeat anything. You will be notified by email when another expert has begun working on your question. Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for trying.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will await the advise of the new Tech.
Electronics Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 1 month ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please. I still can not order books.

Have you tried contacting Amazon?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. When I did a search for kindle assistance your contact info came up.

Their direct number is: 1-***-***-****

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would you please confirm that I will receive a full credit since you were unable to solve my issue?

Call customer service at 1-***-***-****

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like a new Expert to help assist me in purchasing books.
Electronics Technician: Josh, Technician replied 1 month ago
Josh, Technician

Hello:

I'm so very sorry it took so long for someone to offer assistance to you. My name is ***** ***** I've just come online and saw your question waiting. Before we start, can you please confirm if you still need assistance with your question? Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I still require assistance. Thank you.

Did you contact Amazon?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. When I called just answer to get a credit to my account because the issue was not yet resolved, I was asked to give you all another shot so I have not contacted Amazon yet. If you all are not able to resolve, that would be my next step.

You will need to contact Amazon

Josh, Technician