E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

Weird questions for you :-) I have two kindles and would…

Weird questions for you...

Weird questions for you :-) I have two kindles and would like to use both. Can I?

Technician's Assistant: What brand and model of e-reader do you have?

Hmmmm I have the ?first version, which has the keyboard at the bottom and no back light. The second one is the ?the second version. They are called Patti's Kindle and patti's second kindle under my account

Technician's Assistant: The E-Reader Specialist will be able to walk you through that. How long has this been going on with your Kindle? What have you tried so far?

Well -- I haven't used my first kindle in awhile. My husband and I share the kindle. I would like to keep my books on the kindle fire, which I believe is my second kindle. I would like to be able to load his favorite books on the first kindle. We share some books but I don't want to read his -- ha ha. Additionally I now have a Prime Account and we would like to use it for some books.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything right now. Thank you.

Answered in 1 day by:
3/10/2018
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Hello -- we have two kindles: 2nd generation and a kindle fire.
I would like to manage both so that some books are on one -- the books my husband likes and my books are on the other. I tried to move one of his books from the fire to the 2nd generation under managing my account but it did not work. Please advise..... Thanks

Do both Kindles use the same Amazon account?

Issue #2. We have a Prime account under my Amazon account. My husband has his own Amazon account. Can we put our Prime account under the same account?
Both kindles are under the same account.

If they both use the same account then all books go to both Kindles

That is not what I am seeing. All my books are on the fire. Only 5 books are on the 2nd generation.

All books are stored on the Cloud server -- On the 2nd generation when viewing the books, you should see an option for DEVICE/CLOUD if you click on it then it should toggle to the CLOUD option to see all books.

I do not see that. I see five books. nothing archived. When I press the menu button I can shop the kindle store, search, create new collection, Sync & check for items,

On the 2nd generation when viewing the books, you should see an option for DEVICE/CLOUD if you click on it then it should toggle to the CLOUD option to see all books.

Apologies -- but this option is not listed....

When you mentioned 2nd generation, do you mean the 2nd Kindle ever made or the 2nd generation of a Paperwhite, Fire, etc?

2nd generation made

Did you make sure the software was updated a while back?

From Home, press the Menu button, and then select Settings. You will see the current software version at the bottom of the screen. What is it?

Version: Kindle 2.5.3 (490488060)

Okay, that is the issue.

The Kindle was never updated to 2.5.8

Click here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201994710

Locate your Kindle model on the page then click on Transfer via USB

Follow the prompts to update the software through your computer

will do So the manual came up. I'm not sure how to update it.....

You will need to follow the steps on the link that I gave you

I'm so sorry -- please be patient with me. When I follow those directions I cannot get the software to download.
I have a B003. The document when I click on software update, the document opens up in Windows and is not readable. I feel stuck....

No problem -- Unfortunately, I cannot provide anymore exact steps than those on the Amazon website.

ok I will keep trying

OK thank you

Thank you Harry. We have followed the directions multiple time but the version will not download.
We have reset the Kindle to factory settings and are starting over. We have an appointment and will need to work on this later. I appreciate your assistance. Patti

You're welcome!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Harry, Customer Service