E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I have a Nook Reader ... when I power it on everything looks…

I have a Nook...

I have a Nook Reader ... when I power it on everything looks normal but then it starts loading memory (?) counts up to 99% and then just sits there blinking 99%. What's wrong? what do I do about it?

Technician's Assistant: What brand and model of e-reader do you have?

It's a Nook ... bought at B&N ... don't see any other numbers or documentation.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your e-reader? What have you tried so far?

I use it occasionally and just turned it on earlier today. Everything looked OK. I think it was trying to sync some of the latest books I purchased when this occurred.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

I have powered it down a couple of times by holding in the power button and then it does the same thing when I power it on again. In fact it is sitting here blinking the 99% as we speak.

This is a NOOK HD+ reader. Should have said that before.
3/8/2018
Eldon
Eldon, Customer Service

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble,

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the nook. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 30+ seconds, then release. Give the nook about a minute to start back up, and let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Note that you may need to repeat this process 4-5 times for the reset to take effect. Let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

Eldon

I tried this about 4 times and I think it is reset and booting .... there's a small blue line appearing below the "NOOK" in the middle of the page. Still waiting to see .... the blue line disappeared and it is building again (the blue line starts as a down and then very slowly elongates into a line.. OK, it is trying to start. And it looks like it has opened as it's asking for my WI FI password. Hang on for a minute while I try to get WI Fi started.
GotWI Fi Started and now it's down loading critical updates.
now it's rebooting
Making a blue line again ... now powering up .... it went through the 99% that time and now is upgrading.
Hey ELDON everything looks good. Got my books back in my library and the system seems to be OK. Now what the heck caused this problem??
It looks like I have to rebuild my shelves again ... all 129 books.
Talk to me Eldon. You still there?

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed I'm only just now getting all of your messages. I'm sorry about that.

I'm glad to hear the reset and updates did the trick.

It is hard to say what caused this, likely a prior update that started or was interrupted due to a low battery or interrupted wifi connection. Yes you may have to reorganize your library on the nook itself, but you wont' lose any of your actual purchases at least.

Thanks for the follow-up
Everything seems to be operating fine. Great job Elton.

You're very welcome!

Eldon
Eldon, Customer Service