E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I own the first Kindle made available. I have not used it…

My name is***** &...

My name is***** & I own the first Kindle made available. I have not used it for a few years & I am charging it but the green lite will not come on. I am with Amazon Prime & they are offering free books for Kindles. I need to change my method of payment . Please advise.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last charge your Kindle?

Years ago

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a force reboot (pressing and holding the power button for a minute)?

No. should I do that?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

Just help me to get it to charge

3/8/2018
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.
The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up. Note that you may need to repeat this process 4-5 times for the reset to take effect. Let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The screen says my battery is critical & empty. I have tried to rebooting several times but no luck.

How long has it been on the charger?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
about 30 minutes. I cannot afford another $20.

I'm not asking for anything else.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.
You have paid the full agreed upon fees (5 deposit + balance/total) noted on the payment page when posting your question.

30 minutes is not nearly enough,

leave it on the charger, ignoring the lights/indicators, for a minimum of 4 hours,

then try the reboot once more at that point.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nathan, I just checked it & there is an orange lite where I turn off & on. So does that mean it is charging?

If it is lit, then yes that means it is trying to charge,

even if it doesn't turn on yet, it is just too low still.

So just let it keep charging. It would eventually turn green when it is done.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much Nathan. It is so amazing that you could walk me thru it on Computer.How do I change my payment method. I have a new banking information. What is the telephone # to contact customer service for futher orders?

You're very welcome!

You can't order anything or do anything with your account over the phone.

You do this all on amazon.com on your computer,

There are a few easy steps to fix this though.

From your amazon account page on the computer,

First, go to Manage Payment Options:

http://amzn.to/1NupYm0

there you can be sure your card/bank info is correct (right address, valid expiration date, etc)

From there, go to Manage Your Content and Devices:

http://amzn.to/1N8muYQ

On this page, click on the SETTINGS tab at the top right,

then you can from there set a default card to be used for one click purchases on the kindle.

Under Kindle Payment Settings, click on the Edit Payment Method button, and you can set the card you want used for your kindle purchases.

After that, reboot the kindle one more time, and it should operate normally from there.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Nathan. My Kindle I was asking you about has been charging since Thursday. It is still showing orange at the on/off button.Please advise

Can you please unplug the charger cord, then do the reboot again (hold the power button for 20 seconds)

Nathan, Technician
Nathan, Technician