E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I have an older Kindle Fire and I cannot start it. All I get…

I have an older...

I have an older Kindle Fire and I cannot start it. All I get when I turn it on is a big battery in the middle with red part way on it.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last charge your Kindle Fire?

It was on the charger all night. Yesterday I restarted it when I get this battery sign and I was able to use it . It also said it was fully charged even though the big battery in the middle didn't show it as fully charged.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a force reboot (pressing and holding the power button for a minute)?

Yes. Several times.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if it's something that can be easlily fixed or too expensive to fix?

2/17/2018
Randy Boman
Randy Boman, Technician
My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.
I will be glad to assist you.
This is usually caused by a glitch in the firmware and can be resolved by a forced reboot, then your kindle will work normally again. Slide or press and hold the power switch for 40 seconds, continue holding down for the full 40 seconds even if it powers off, then release.Then press or slide the power button to restart if the device does not start up again on its own.If the screen is still unresponsive, plug in your device using the USB cord or power adapter that came with it. Then try charging the Kindle tablet with a wall outlet power adapter. Let the device charge for 30 minutes, unplug it, and then try to restart again.
Did as advised. Did the restart and still had the picture of the battery. Plugged it in 30 minutes and turned it on. Now it's just black.

okay, try the reset again please.

press and hold the power switch for 40 seconds, continue holding down for the full 40 seconds even if it powers off, then release.Then press or slide the power button to restart if the device does not start up again on its own.

Won't power off when it's black to begin with.

If that fails and you are sure that the charger is working properly then that means the kindle has a hardware failure.

Usually the cost to repair is too much and the best option is to purchase a new or refurbished kindle which is a good value,

You can read the books from another device or computer while you are getting the kindle replaced with the Kindle app which is available for most major smartphones, tablets and computers. That means with your free Kindle reading apps, you can buy a Kindle book once, and read it on any device with the Kindle app installed.

Ok thanks.

your welcome!

Randy Boman
Randy Boman, Technician