E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

Will not connect to kindle store as I have not updated

Will not connect to...

Will not connect to kindle store as I have not updated software

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Kindle? What have you tried so far?

Have tried wifi update without success and now I think I need to connect to computer and download software?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

It is old kindle 3.3

2/17/2018
Randy Boman
Randy Boman, Technician

Yes, you will need to use your computer to Update the Kindle.

- From your computer, go to https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/help/id=200529700<<
- Transfer the software update file to your Kindle device:

- Turn your Kindle Keyboard on and connect it to your computer using the USB cable.

- Drag and drop the new update file from your computer onto the Kindle drive.
- Note: Do not drop the file into one of the folders within the Kindle drive.

- Monitor file transfer and disconnect:

- After the file has transferred successfully, eject the Kindle to safely disconnect your Kindle from your computer.

- Disconnect the USB cable from your Kindle and your computer.

- Start the software update:

- From Home, press the Menu button, and then select Settings.

- Press the Menu button, and then select Update Your Kindle. This option will be grayed out if the most recent update has already been installed or if the file transfer was not successful.

- Select OK to perform the update. Your Kindle will restart twice during the update. After the first update, you will see Your Kindle is updating.

- Let me know if you have any problems.

- I can also do this for you with a secure remote screen session if you want, just let me know please.

Still will not update it is grey. The update line gets to the middle and then it tells me that it is unsuccessful and stops
Let me know the Kindle Version please.
From Home, tap the Menu icon, and then tap Settings. From Settings, tap the Menu icon, and then tap Device Info.
I cannot really afford more that the $47 I have paid unfortunately, I will need to put money towards new kindle as this one appears to be unable to update. I have followed all the steps with Amazon and with your advice and the result is the same, but thanks for trying.
B00A DOB1 1255 00C7
Version kindle 3.3 (611680021)

Okay, did you download and install Software Update 3.4

3.4 B00A yes
Then 11.3.2.5. and 11.4.5.5. Which downloaded in three parts

Okay, it should only be 2 updates. Do 3.4 and then 3.4.2

Do I need to delete the updates I have already put on the computer? Also they had a file with content and then a file with 0 KbB content - I only downloaded the ones with KB content? Is that correct?
Okay, are you chatting with me on the computer you are using to update the Kindle?
No I am using iPad so I can keep computer ready
Okay, I was just gonna post the links so you could open then directly on the computer.
I have got the link open you sent and can see B00A - it says if 3.3 download 3.4 and after that 3.4.2 - is that correct and should I delete old updates first - I am somewhat limited with my technical ability!!!!

Yes, that is correct.

Thanks - I have got 3.4 and 3.42 downloads noe - donI plug in kindle now?

yes, the Kindle should show in your device list as a drve, for example F:Kindle

Drag the downloaded file directly to that drive.

Done that - it has come up as 7 files - is that how it should be?

No, it should only be one file for each version.

Ok so I deleted and went back to downloads and instead of dragging I did it as send to - now just got the two there in kindle drive, so hopefully okay now.

Sounds good,

I have got
Update kindle 3.4.1 3.4.2 B00A.bi 2094 KB
And
Update. kindle 3.4 B00A.bin. 19,617 KB
That okay?
Next step?

Disconnect the USB cable from your Kindle and your computer.

- Start the software update:

- Let me know if you have any problems

Started well - update in black - ok - started update, got halfway across then message as before - cannot complete, will restart your kindle, which it did. Same as last time! I think it may be a hopeless case.
Update has now retuned to grey.
I plugged kindle back into computer and looked at Kindle drive and there is a file -
FWU Oupdate - 10-611680021-1725970040...... partial download 4,148KB
Does that mean anything to you?

no,
I can do it for you if you want. I can send you a link via email to securely connect to your computer screen.

What would the cost be?

I will do it for you for no extra charge.

Thank you. What do I do now? Do I leave kindle plugged into computer?

yes, what is an email address that you can open the link on that computer?

I am now on my email on computer it is***@******.***

okay, sending it now with instructions.

Sorry Randy - as I said no very adept at this. Got your email and agreed to terms etc. I hit save file in Elsinore and then blue Download sRA file again. I think I have done it a couple of times but I am not sure where to go to find it or how to proceed

the elsinore file will be in your downloads, click on it and allow it to run and install please.

It is installing now ok now I see you

ok

you can also use the kindle by loading the books from the kindle desktop app on the computer if it is convenient for you.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible!

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating!

Please let me know if you need any other assistance.

Also, please take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top and click on submit.

Thank you very much!

Randy Boman
Randy Boman, Technician
Thank you for your help and although my kindle would still not update that was not your fault, you certainly worked very hard and tried everything available to you, so I feel that you definitely deserve 5 stars and thank you.