E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

My paperwhite is frozen. This am. I tried to downgrade

My paperwhite is frozen ...

My paperwhite is frozen

Technician's Assistant: When did you last charge your Kindle?

This am

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a force reboot (pressing and holding the power button for a minute)?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

I tried to downgrade software to 5.6x

1/15/2018
Aparna Indresh

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

I understand your concern please try to restart your kindle one more time by Pressing and holding the Power button for seven seconds until the Power dialogue box appears, and then tap Restart.

Note: If the Power dialogue box doesn't appear, press and hold the Power button for a full 40 seconds until your device restarts.

Please let me know if it works for you if it does not we will try some alternate solution.

after 40+seconds it did not restart

May I know if your kindle is charged please try to follow the below steps:

1. Press and hold the Power button for a full 20 seconds.

After the first 6 to 8 seconds, the screen will go blank, which is normal. Continue holding thePower button.

2. After the 20 seconds, release the Power button.

The charge indicator light will turn on after a few seconds.

What else can I do to reboot my paperwhite
ok what else can I do?

Could you please put your kindle on charge and then try to restart it.

On charge, light is orange won’t we restart
Karthik Nagarajan

Hello, I'm Karthik and I'm happy to assist you with your question today. I'm very sorry it took so long for an Expert to get back to you, I've only just come online and saw your question now.

Probably we can try doing reset on the Kindle. If we do a hard reset on the Kindle,you will loss all the data but you can retrieve the data by logging in to the Amazon account. In order to do a hard reset please follow the troubleshooting given below.

1. Turn OFF the Kindle

2. Once the Kindle is completely power off, Now press and hold the Volume UP+ Power button.

3. Release the keys when you see Amazon logo on the screen.

4. From the men choose "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" by using Volume button to scroll.

5. Press the power button.

6. From the confirmation steps choose "Yes-- Delete all user data" using volume button.

7. Press the power buttom again.

8. (Now all the data will be wiping/erasing)Tab is now formatting.

9. Finally, Use the power button to execute option"Reboot system now"

10. Now we have done with the Factory reset operation.

If that doesn't work or if any other steps is unclear please let me know, So that we can try some other alternate solution. Thank you

1. My paperwhite is frozen on the "Tree" screen.
2. I have tried to reboot by holding powerbutton for at least 40 seconds several times
3. pluged into computer and doesnt show up

Have you tried changing different USB cable for connecting the computer and kindle?

no but I feel the cable is OK I was trying to downgrade software to 5.6 to jailbreak and loades .bin file to root directory. confirmed it was there and pressed reset. Everything quit after that
is anyone there??

In this case I will opt-out and allow another expert to take over. Other experts will be able to see this question and the conversation which you had with me and they will be providing you a proper solution. Or You may also contact Amazon Technical support Canada: 1-***-***-****. Thank you for your patience.

I see that you've given me a 1-star rating. Note that if my previous solution didn't work, We tried all the possible troubleshooting from my end, I assume that it could be a problem with the hardware failure. That is the reason I gave the amazon technical support number for replacement.

Karthik Nagarajan
Karthik Nagarajan
Karthik Nagarajan
Karthik Nagarajan