E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

Itis fully charged and switches on, but then goes off again…

Customer Question
Itis fully charged and...

Itis fully charged and switches on, but then goes off again and doesn't go to HOME. I live in Kenya, so no technicians here. Should I buy a new one? Can my library be transferred to a new Kindle??

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Kindle? What have you tried so far?

Three days. I have tried holding the on switch ON for a full minute. It just goes off again.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: E-Readers
1/9/2018
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 6 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up. Note that you may need to repeat this process 4-5 times for the reset to take effect. Let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

I have tried that seven times to no avail. Any other ideas before I order a new Kindle from UK. I'm not optimistic.

Yes, that is most likely a hardware issue.

The last option here is a 2nd level reset: plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

If still no change, it would confirm a hardware fault and at that point it would need to be replaced, they are not feasible to service.

When you receive your replacement kindle, once it is registered and connected to wifi, all of your existing books/purchases will sync to the new kindle, so you won’t lose any of the content you’ve previously purchased.

Best regards,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.