E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

My kindle will not take a charge. this happened once before…

Customer Question
My kindle will not...

My kindle will not take a charge. this happened once before and i was told to press the button the back and it restarted. It won;t do that this time.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Kindle? What have you tried so far?

This has been this way for about a week. The only thing I tried was to press the button in the back. But it doesn't help.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: E-Readers
1/8/2018
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 6 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up. Note that you may need to repeat this process 4-5 times for the reset to take effect. Let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

I have tried this several times and nothing happens.

What is the model of the kindle?
Note that you need to do this at least 5 times, and making sure you're using the power button (not volume, not the button on the back).

No thank you. I would rather try to fix it this way. I don't hear well.

I'm not asking for anything else.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

To continue here, please respond to my earlier message:

What is the model of the kindle?Note that you need to do this at least 5 times, and making sure you're using the power button (not volume, not the button on the back).

There is no other button on this kindle. It is about 5 years old. It came out before the Fire model.

Well you were mentioning something on the back,

so just to be clear I'm referring to the power button (used to turn it on/off), which is located on the bottom edge of the kindle.

If the kindle still isn’t working properly, the next step will be a deeper level reset. Plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, and leave it there to try charging via the computer for at least 2 hours, then (still plugged into computer usb) press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

Will any usb cable do? I don't have any connected to this kindle.
You can use the one that came with the kindle. It is half of the charger cord it separates from the wall plug.
Ok. I realized the cable that I have been using could be plugged into the computer so I have done what you advised. Now I have to wait 2 hours to see if it works. I will then get back to you.

Thank you

Are you still there?

Yes, I'm waiting for you to charge it via usb for a few hours, and you may then reply back here at that point.

ok. thanx.

You're welcome

Hello Nathan, It's been 2 1/2 hours since I pliugged in the kindle to the computer. It is still showing orange which means it is not yet charged. When I check it on the computer it says to reformat it but if I do they tell me that I will lose all data, Does that mean that I'll lose all the books I have on there?
Hello Nathan, It's been 2 1/2 hours since I plugged in the kindle to the computer. It is still showing orange which means ti is not yet fully charged. When I check it on the computer it says to reformat it but if I do they tell me that I will lose all data. Does that mean that I'll lose all the books I have on there?

Thank you for the update. My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

Just ignore what is on the screen, you don't need to format. I would leave it on there to continue charging, even for several more hours, it won't hurt anything, and let me know how it looks at that point.

Thank you,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.