E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

Suddenly, my Kindle tells me I "am offline'. Settings is not…

Customer Question
Suddenly, my Kindle tells...

Suddenly, my Kindle tells me I "am offline'. Settings is not responding. It was fully charged, but I noticed as I am trying to fire it up, the percentage went all the way down to 97%, which seems excessive for just trying to get it to fire up. Is that a clue??

Technician's Assistant: Does your network appear in the Wi-Fi list on your Kindle?

Yes, I believe it is the right one, but it says "authenticating .... and then finally I get a screen that says I have lost settings.

Technician's Assistant: Are other devices (computer, phone, etc.) connecting to the router?

I can tell you I'm no computer geek, so you're dealing with a moron here!! I have just been on my computer and that seemed to be working fine. Back to my Kindle, under Wireless it says Authentication failed in red.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't even know what questions to ask. This happened a couple months ago, and I was so busy I didn't do anything about it. then I charged it up to 100% and turned it on and it WORKED!!! Magic, I thought --- until it was time to recharge -- now it did the same thing.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: E-Readers
1/4/2018
Electronics Technician: info tech, Technician replied 3 months ago
info tech
info tech, Technician

Hello
Welcome
Whilst this may be a hardware issue I am hopeful you have success doing this>>>
Please reset the kindle by holding down (or slide to the right on early kindles) the on/off switch for 40 seconds (use a watch to time) ignore any messages the kindle may display, then release your finger the kindle should reboot and re-load the operating system, you may have to do this both on and off the charger and upto 4 times before it resets.
Let me know if you need more help OR if this does not work for you.

A positive rating is appreciated thank you (rating bar of stars top of the page thank you) 3 to 5 stars and the site will release a payment to me thank you.
Regards
Anthony

I tried it once. Still says YOU ARE OFFLINE.

Did you see the screen flicker and go back to the start page?that means its completed its reboot

Now my battery is down to 90%, just from trying to get it online. Is that a clue?? You said to do this up to 4 times. I should do that first, right??

YES because you need the kindle to get back to square 1 that is reset itself,its at the moment erratic

You will see the screen flicker and the unit will be on the start page ......reset,please hold button down for FULL 40 seconds

OK. second time -- same thing. This is without being on the charger, and now down to 89%. I'll do it again??

So you are not seeing it reboot?like I described above

What I do is,
Turn it off.
Hold down the button for over 40 seconds and watch while the kindlefire signals bring it to where I can slide the padlock sign to open it. I go to Web, Google comes up, but when I try something, I get a screen that says "You are offline." Should I do it the 3rd and 4th time??

NO do not do anything but hold the on/off switch down for 40 seconds !! that is all I am asking you to do and do it for the FULL 40 seconds please ignore any messages the kindle may display just continue holding the button down for the 40 seconds,use a watch to time if necessary

Then release your finger after 40 seconds

Yep, I held it down a full minute. Still offline.

Is the kindle at the start page?

Usually a tree

I shut it OFF. Then held down the button for 40+ seconds. Now I tried doing it from the page after I have slid the padlock to open. Google came up. At the bottom of the screen I have a choice on "www.google.com wants to use your device's location" to either Block or Allow. What should I do here??

Its just asking the usual intro just say allow,its taking you through a routine it looks like its OK now let me know

I hot Allow. Then tried to search something on Google, and same thing --- You are offline.

Its not seeing the router , I have to go on calls here I will open this up to others

What?? You're leaving me?
Do I have to start all over????
Electronics Technician: GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech replied 3 months ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech

Hi there! My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this problem and I am sorry that you have had to wait for help. It would be my pleasure to assist you. Can you tell me what model your Kindle is? If you aren't sure please login to your Amazon/Kindle account at www.amazon.com/myk. On the page that appears next, you will see a CONTENT Tab and a DEVICES Tab. Please click the devices tab and then select your device. You should see a TYPE and SERIAL number. Please let me know what you see there. Once I have that information I can offer detailed steps for troubleshooting Thank you for your patience!

It does not appear that you are currently online. Unfortunately I must leave the office for a bit, so I am opting out. Another expert will help you when you are available again You will not have to repeat anything. The new expert should be able t see our entire conversation. you idon'thave to do anything. You will be notified when another expert begins to work on your question. Have a great day!

Type: Kindle Fire HD
S#: D025 A0A0 2436 0MK5Not sure if the O is the number zero or capital O. I did the number zero.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Did you get the model and serial number?? Any ideas what might be wrong? ?
Electronics Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 3 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know

I still cannot get my KindleFire to open. Please tell me at what page to do the "hold button down 40 sec.". When it is OFF? When it is at the page where I slide the "lock" button over, or at the page where I have choices of Web, Photos, Docs, etc????
I have tried doing the 40 sec. thing at all of the different pages. I always get the screen "You are offline." On my Wireless page, it says Authentication failed. It also says Strong Signal.

Have you tried a factory reset?

Harry, Customer Service