E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

Trying to connject to Bluetooth device, but can't set up for…

Customer Question
Trying to connject to...

Trying to connject to Bluetooth device, but can't set up for Bluetooth, as it is greyed out

Technician's Assistant: What brand and model of e-reader do you have?

It's an 8th generation, 6"

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your e-reader? What have you tried so far?

It's brand new; still setting it up. I'm trying to pair with a smart tv. The tv searches, but doesn't find it. I'm initiating this procvess with "voice view screen reader, since everything else on the accessability page is greyed out, including "bluetooth

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No, that's it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: E-Readers
12/31/2017
Electronics Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 7 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Which device are you trying to connect to which device?

This has already been explained in detail

Mitch,

Your question above states "8th generation 6" but does not state which brand.

Also, you mentioned a smart TV but did not specify that make/model.

Please provide the information requested.

Brand? This is my first Kindle, and I thought “Kindle “ was the brand. All is says on the thing, other than Kindle, is Amazon. But that’s not a brand. Is it? The tv is a Sony XBR43X800D

Kindle is the brand although you never mentioned Kindle.

The Kindle cannot connect to your TV via bluetooth. Bluetooth is designed for audio such as a speaker or headphones.

I realize that, but when setting up the Kindle, it prompts you to set up “voice view screen reader “. When you turn that on, the Kindle starts searching for a Bluetooth audio device. The tv then shows a pop up window that recognizes the attempt to sync. The problem is, it never does. Also, there is another option on the Kindle to add Bluetooth devices, but it’s greyed out (can’t select)
If the Kindle isn’t designed for this purpose, why would it attempt to do it in setup?

Yes, the voice view is designed for bluetooth audio speakers; not a TV.

it should work with my Amazon Echo Dot then?

Here are the supported profiles to work with the Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201742680