E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

Mine died and I am taking over my husband's but he forgot…

Customer Question
Mine died and I...

Mine died and I am taking over my husband's but he forgot his passcode. Following the instructions given, the device is not giving me the factory reset prompt.

Technician's Assistant: When could you last access your device?

It has probably been a couple off years...its been sitting on the bookshelf gathering dust

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a Factory Reset? The E-reader Expert can walk you through this to ensure you don't lose your e-books and other data.

I would but I cannot seem to get to that prompt

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: E-Readers
12/20/2017
Electronics Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 5 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

I do
I am not in my office right now so please type the answer

Which model Kindle do you have?

It’s a nook color about 4 years old
  1. Power down your nookColor/Tablet. Wait 10-15 seconds before continuing
  2. Press and hold power button and your "n" home button almost simultaneously (Power first and then the "n").
  3. Hold these until your screen flashes the "Touch the future of reading" message, wait 2 seconds and release buttons.
  4. You will then get a prompt asking if you want to reset your nook to factory settings. Press the home button to continue. It will ask you to confirm. Press the home key again.
  5. Your nook will deregister, reset, and when it reboots, you will see the introductory tutorials like it came from the factory.
This doesn't work...my nook says "read forever" on the first screen and then goes into its regular start up ending up at the screen asking for the passcode.

Did you turn it off first?

it was turned off overnight
Electronics Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 4 months ago

Please make sure you are following the steps carefully. Those are the direct steps from Barnes and Noble

Harry, Customer Service