E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

Page frozen and device will not turn off. Now on blank

Customer Question
Page frozen and device...

Page frozen and device will not turn off. Now on blank screen that periodically lightens then darkens.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last charge your e-reader?

Overnight

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a force reboot (pressing and holding the power button for a minute)?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: E-Readers
12/16/2017
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 7 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What device is this you're referring to? Is it a Kindle? If so, which model and how old is it?

Kindle paper white, maybe a year?

Thanks for the reply.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the bottom of the Kindle (next to the charging port) for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).

If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

Were you able to get the Kindle to respond?

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Each attempted reboot caused the full power green light to come on briefly, followed by five flashes of the yellow charging light!
No chang in outcome

Is the Kindle just under or just over one year from the date of purchase?

Screen still blank and slowly alternating between light and dark!

Is the Kindle just under (covered by warranty) or just over one year (out of warranty) from the date of purchase???

I do not know as it was a gift.

Okay, unfortunately the device has failed- as these symptoms are hardware related, and not anything you can reset.

Since you're not sure about warranty a new Kindle will probably not be issued as a replacement but they normally give great discounts for a current Amazon customer to upgrade to the Kindle Fire.

In SOME cases they will grant the 1year warranty for a customer and give you a replacement. That is completely up to Amazon and is on a case to case basis that I have no control over.

Please call Amazon here ---> 1-***-***-****

Let them know that your Kindle has hardware issues and you need a replacement

If you have any questions, please let me know otherwise if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Do you need further assistance with this?