E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

Kindle seems to have died! On charger, the orange light

Customer Question
Kindle seems to have...

Kindle seems to have died! On charger, the orange light appears for 30 seconds, then vanishes. After 24 hours charging, no change, no response. After a blank screen, there is now a fixed picture headed AMAZON KINDLE showing a reader under a tree, and what appears to be an indicator that it has about 20% power, but still no response when I try to switch it on.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last charge your Kindle?

About one week ago now, intending to contact support but only getting around to it now!

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a force reboot (pressing and holding the power button for a minute)?

Yes, no success, but am trying again now

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: E-Readers
12/15/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up. Note that you may need to repeat this process 4-5 times for the reset to take effect. Let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

Tried 5 times, no response

Thanks for trying

If the kindle still isn’t working properly, the next step will be a deeper level reset. If you have not charged the kindle recently or know that it is at least half full, then you should charge the battery for at least a few hours before proceeding further. Then plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

Thanks, I'll try that, so please cancel the phone call for the present

No problem, will do.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?

I have been unable for various reasons to follow this up. The situation, however, is now as follows. After charging the Kindle for some hours, I attempted a reboot as recommended. This appeared to have no effect, so I attached the device to the charger again. By accident, I noticed later that the green light was showing, and on opening the Kindle it appeared to be working normally. This, however, did not last, as on later inspection it appeared to be inert once more. This has remained the case, with some repeats of the green light showing briefly whilst holding the on/off slide while again attempting to reboot. As stated, I have not had leisure to follow this through ...
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 6 months ago

When you had attempted the reboot, was this done while connected to the wall outlet charger, or to the computer?