E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I have been given a Kindle but do not know how to set it up…

Customer Question
I have been given...

I have been given a Kindle but do not know how to set it up in my name

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Kindle? What have you tried so far?

Only recently been given it but I think I have to open an account and reset the Kindle?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

I think it is not a recent version and needs an update also

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: E-Readers
12/14/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Technician replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Technician

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your Kindle question. I have to ask a few questions about the details first, please:
- Do you already have an Amazon.com account, please?

- and, Is the Kindle device you were given, one that was previously used by someone else, rather than one that is New ?

With this info, I can instruct you accurately as to what to do. Let me know, by Reply To Expert, please.

Was previously used by Mr Warren Pickering and serial number is ***** AOAO 1084 0557. I do not have an Amazon Account.

OK. If it was previously used, you will have to either De-Register it, or else you will have to try a factory reset to wipe the previous owner's registration off it.

To De-Register it, if you have access to it, you may (from the Home screen) go to

MENU

then to Settings,

and select Deregister.

That may take a few minutes to complete.

To factory reset it, while it is On, hold down the Power button or Power switch, continuously, for 20 seconds or longer, and it will restart, then spend several minutes wiping itself clean to an unregistered factory-issue condition... if all goes well. you can Register it to your own account - given that you don't have one, select the option 'I wish to create a new account', and create your new Amazon.com account that way, while Registering your Kindle.

Let me know how it goes, please. (If just Deregistering it goes OK.