E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

My dad is in his 90s and is quite severely vision impaired…

Customer Question
My dad is in...

My dad is in his 90s and is quite severely vision impaired with macular degeneration. He is having trouble quite often with finding his place in the book he is reading. It is possible that he is accidentally touching the screen and scrolling. Do you have any advice for him?

Technician's Assistant: What brand and model of e-reader do you have?

He's using an iPad. Do you need a model number?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPad?

Version 10.3.3 (14G60)

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iPad? What have you tried so far?

It happens quite regularly. He tried bookmarking each page, but apparently reached the maximum available number of bookmarks. Could that be right?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so, thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: E-Readers
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/14/2017
Electronics Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 7 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Hi Harry,Yes, I still do need help please.
It might be good if you can call me. My number is +61###-##-####
Cheers
Liz

You mentioned he is using an iPad -- Which website/company is he buying the books from?

He is buying from Amazon and reading on Kindle. They have a limited set of views appropriate for the vision impaired. Will take your advice on a better platform for his needs if you know of one.

If he is only reading books then purchasing the Kindle itself would be a better option.

OK, I could buy him a Kindle for Christmas. But we need to factor in that as a 97 year-old, he finds it difficult to adjust to new devices. Are you suggesting that the experience will be simpler on the Kindle? Do they provide large/bold print for the vision impaired? Can you adjust the back-light? Vision impaired people need a strong back-light. And do you have any advice regarding using the iPad in the meantime?

Yes, you can adjust the font size and brightness on the Kindle.

The Kindle app on the iPad has a lot less features that the Kindle itself has so you can't adjust as much. In regards ***** ***** bookmarks, I am not sure what exactly he is doing so it is tough to help you with that. Since the iPad has a lot of different features whereas the Kindle with a more simpler layout, it can be confusing to someone.

Thanks Harry. I will try to drill down a bit more with the bookmarks issue and get back to you to try to work it out.

You're welcome!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.