Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Several years of occasional experience with aspects of E-Reader technology.
13568747

I have just received my new kindle hd8. I have over 700

Customer Question

I have just received my new kindle hd8. I have over 700 books in my kindle library that I have purchased through my previous kindles. How do I access those books on my new kindle?
JA: When could you last access your Kindle?
Customer: Probably a month. I had to get a new one.
JA: Did you try resetting through Amazon's online password ***** tool?
Customer: I don't know what that is.
JA: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: At this point I want to read from my library. I am essentially electronically illiterate. I just turned 70 this week. I don't know what I can do with my 1st gen kindle
Category: E-Readers
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't understand this whole process. I didn't understand it would cost me money to set this up. What's going on?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm slow at processing. I need the print to understand it.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The answer to your question is as simple as this:

1. Register the new Kindle with your Amazon.com account (if you haven't already.) (Note: you can do this various ways, but do not choose the option to create a new account. You precisely and exactly want to register with the already existent Amazon account that you bought the e-books with and where they are stored.)

2. If bought from Amazon at very least, your books are always available in or from your Amazon.com account for re-downloading as needed. So, once registered on the new Kindle, you may download the books once again.

That's how the e-book model works: buy a given e-book once, and always have it available for download or re-download, to any number of your registered Kindle devices. This way, if the device breaks or is lost or stolen, your books are all still there in your Amazon.com account.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didn't understand I had to reregister this one along with the others. I don't understand the process very well. My daughter helped with the others, and I don't want to tell her about this yet. I'll get a lecture for spending too much money.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know. It's usually easier to understand text.

Don't worry, I can instruct you.

Registering can be applied, registering to one Amazon.com account, to up to 6 reader devices.

I presume you haven't reached that limit?

To Register your new Kindle HD8:

- swipe down from the top of the screen, and select SETTINGS

- then tap on MY ACCOUNT

- then choose REGISTER

- then, choose If you already have an Amazon account:

- and enter your Amazon account username/email, then enter your Amazon account's password.

Submit that, and you should be registered, and have access in My Library to all the books you have already bought! without extra charge, and your daughter will have no account to reproach you for spending too much.

Since I have not heard back from you, I am asking whether my answer was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution.

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated. Thank you.

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will help you further to a solution.)