E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

My old kindle died and I just got a new one. Everything on…

Customer Question
My old kindle died...

My old kindle died and I just got a new one. Everything on old transfered to new kindle . However when I tried to open a book a screen of wi-fi networks comes up. I didn't need outside wi-fi on my old kindle How do I fix this

Technician's Assistant: When did you last charge your Kindle?

Last night Battery indicator shows full charge

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a force reboot (pressing and holding the power button for a minute)?

Tried but same result

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

No just the problem of connection without wi-fi

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: E-Readers
11/30/2017
Electronics Technician: JustAnswer, Customer Service replied 8 months ago
JustAnswer
JustAnswer, Customer Service
Thanks for posting your question. We're matching you to the right Expert, who will call you at the number you provided. Please leave any new details below.
Electronics Technician: Eric, Technician replied 8 months ago
Eric, Technician

Hi! I'm Eric and I will be the expert assisting you today. I'll do all I can to provide you with excellent, 5-Star service. While I take a moment to read over your question, please read the following:

• Offers you see for Remote Assistance or Phone Calls are not me recommending them, it is this website. I am more than happy to accept your request for one, but you don't have to.
  • Please keep this browser open. If you close it, open your email to find links back to this question.
  • I will keep helping you until you're satisfied, please ask as many follow up questions as you need by replying below.
Phone call session started

Good evening,

I tried to call, however I did not receive an answer. What you are describing is that you used to own one of the Kindles that had a built in 3G chip which allowed it to connect to a cellular network for data, and you were not charged for it. This was called "Whispersync," and Amazon does not do that anymore. To use the new Kindles you need to connect it to a WiFi network, only to download the books though, once they are downloaded you can read them without being connected. If you have wifi at home, you can connect to that wifi, or you can use free wifi available at many places like Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts, etc., to download the books and read them later.