E-Readers

E-reader questions? Ask an electronics Expert.

I have had a Kindle for years (probably since 2010) and not…

Customer Question
I have had a...

I have had a Kindle for years (probably since 2010) and not had any problems being connected to wi-fi wherever I went with it. I recently moved to a new home where only X-finity is offered for internet/TV services. Yesterday, I wanted to order a new book but found Kindle was not connected to wi-fi. In attempts to make a connection I found that my old password ***** ***** working for Kindle and when I request connection to Xfinity wi-fi there is no response when I click on either choice that asks whether or not I have an X-finity account. Do you know what the solution might be? I have yet to contact my wi-fi provider.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Not sure how old. At least 7 years. Serial Number B006 A0A0 0456 06A7

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Trouble started just yesterday, though I moved 4 weeks ago. Just now tried to order a new book. I have tried to connect under my name with password ***** had set up, to no avail. The password ***** not work and there is no way I could find to make a new password. I tried connecting to the network (Xfinity) provided at the place I now live. That is when I found I was unable to say whether or not I had an account with Xfinity because though the arrow went to which ever choice I selected, there was no response when I tried to actually select a choice. (I tried both possibilities).

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

I have yet to talk to X-finity. I do not know if this is a problem associated with the wi-fi provider.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: E-Readers
11/15/2017
Electronics Technician: Josh, Technician replied 5 months ago
Josh, Technician

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Please press and hold down the power button for 25-30 seconds until the Kindle restarts
If that does not work, then please respond back and let me know so I can continue to troubleshoot.

My Kindle starts just fine. It is when I want to order a new book that the trouble begins because I get a message that there is no wi-fi connection.

Yes, I understand.

Please restart your Kindle then try to connect to your Wi-Fi network

I did that again. (Tried that a few times since last night). Still does not accept my Kindle password ***** I had set up originally. Now I am asked if I want to set up a network connection, which I would like to do (I think). The page for Network Information does not give me an option for changing the password. When I select "connect" under the password ***** there (with no option to change it), I get the message that the password ***** *****

You should see the option for FORGET NETWORK which will remove the password

I would love to do that if I knew where I could find the option to FORGET NETWORK. Where do I find that option?

On the Wi-Fi list page where you see the network names..

If you have a touchscreen, you can hold down your finger on the network name or select the small arrow to the right of the name

I guess my Kindle is too old for the options you have given me. It is not a touchscreen nor small arrow. This is no help, though I think you have tried.

Which model do you have?

Kindle version: 3.4.2(###) ###-####
Serial number: B006 A0A0 0456 06A7
No model number given that I can find.

While connected to the network that you want to forget, press the Home button, then press

the Menu button.

Navigate to "Settings" by moving the 5-way controller down, then press the 5-way controller

to select.

Select "view" next to "Wi-Fi Settings" to display a list of detected Wi-Fi networks. You may

have to wait a moment as your Kindle detects networks in range. The Wi-Fi network you are

currently connected to displays the word "forget" next to it in the list of available networks.

Choose "forget" to disconnect from the network

These instructions are exactly what I have been following, many, many times over. My name is ***** ***** the networks usually, but not always, listed along with up to 6 others in the area (the list changes from time to time). Actually, my name is ***** ***** at the moment but if I rescan (an option) I expect to see it pop up. There is an option to enter other wi-fi networks and if I type in my name, the network shows up. For NONE of these is there a possibility to request "forget" -- that word is never displayed.
You cannot use the manually add option. You must select it from the list
What list are you talking about?
The WiFi available network list
Josh, I guess I must have confused you. Right now, as I am typing there are five networks listed (none that I have manually listed). Among them is my network which is listed with 5 solid bars, the others listed have from 2-4 bars. At the bottom of the page there is an option to "enter other Wi-Fi network", so on one attempt, when I did not see my name, I typed it in and it appeared (again with 5 bars). But whenever I select it, I get the request to enter my password ***** to be told the password ***** not work and no option to create a new one.
If I choose the X-finity network (3-4 bars and no security lock), I am asked whether I have an account or not. Whether I choose yes or not, there is no response to my choice. I can neither select to make a new account nor try to create a new password ***** an existing account. As originally explained, I have Xfinity for internet and TV service.
I manually entered my account name only when my name did not pop up on the list after it had appeared many times previously.
You cannot change your WiFi password ***** that screen. Do you mean that you don’t know your password?
I know the password. It is not accepted. There is no option to create a new password.
You cannot create a new password ***** your Kindle. You need to change the password ***** a computer.
do I go to Kindle.com to do that?
Are you trying to change the WiFi password?
Sorry Josh. This is not helpful. Please refund my money.
Dan T.
Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician